C++ compilers on Linux supporting 64bit architecture?

I am new to Linux, but I am invsetigating a performance issue in a big
tomography program developed for Windows.
We have made a command line version of this and compiled for 64 bit
architecture on Win X64 to evaluate performance improvements.
The compilation was done in WinXP (32 bit) using MS VisualStudio 2005
but targeting X64.

The questions now are:

1) Is it possible to cross-compile on Linux 32 bit to produce an
executable for the 64bit architecture Linux as well as 32 bit?

2) Can we expect an improvement in performance of such a command line
(no GUI) program in Linux compared to Windows? The program performs
massive math calculations and has been optimized to use the available
resources well.

3) The program is written in C++, would there be big porting issues
moving it from Windows to Linux, code-wise?

I understand that this is not a Fedora question per se, but since
Fedora is such a popular distribution I thought that the comparison
and development questions may fit here anyway. Sorry if you all
disagree...

Grateful for any comment though.

Bo Berglund