Re: Gnome won't start after upgrade to FC7

On 9/2/07 14:15, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Your system is totally screwed up. You should never have different
> versions of glibc installed. rpm will not let you do it, left to its
> own devices. There was some serious breakage when you upgraded. You
> should look at what was saved in /root/upgrade.log.
>
> You're not going to be able to press a single magic button, and fix
> this. You can begin by trying to remove both older versions of glibc
> via rpm. See if 'rpm -e glibc-2.5-10.fc6.i686 glibc-2.5-3.i686' runs
> without any errors. If so, then run 'rpm -V glibc' to see how badly
> screwed up is the most recent, remaining glibc.
>
> But I suspect that glibc is not the only package that has multiple,
> conflicting, versions installed. Try running
>
> rpm -q -a --queryformat '%{NAME}.%{ARCH}\n' | sort | uniq -c | sort -n
>
> to see how many packages you've got that have multiple versions
> installed at the same time. You probably have hundreds of packages
> that need to be cleaned up by hand, before you have any hope of
> getting yum update to work. yum just doesn't know what to do when you
> have multiple versions of the same package, installed.

I was afraid someone was going to tell me something like that. There are
a number of packages that are in duplicate and triplicate. I assume that
if I get a dependency message, such as
        glibc = 2.5-10.fc6 is needed by (installed)
glibc-headers-2.5-10.fc6.i386
        glibc = 2.5-10.fc6 is needed by (installed)
glibc-devel-2.5-10.fc6.i386
that I need to follow it through by checking for dup's on those packages
and then removing and so on...

Just so I understand , are there any cases where multiple versions of
the same package are acceptable?

--
Edward DeMeulle <ed@xxxxxxxxxxxx>