Re: 100% CPU useage with ZynAddSubFx. (Fedora 7)

On Sunday 02 September 2007 00:12, Gérard Milmeister wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-09-01 at 21:31 +0200, Nigel Henry wrote:
> > Out of interest has anyone got ZynAddSubFx working on Fedora 7. Each
> > time I
> > launch it freezes up . I can still launch a terminal, and top shows
> > xorg
> > having jumped from 5% to about 43%, and Gkrellm is showing 100% CPU
> > useage.
> > I've a hell of a job to shutdown ZynAddSubFx, apart from killing it in
> > ps
> > auxw.
>
> No problem here. Is jackd running correctly?
> --
> Gérard Milmeister
> Langackerstrasse 49
> CH-8057 Zürich

Thanks for the reply Gérard. I presume it is working on Fedora 7 for you, as
it works ok on earlier FC versions, and on my Debian installs for me.

Jack appears to be ok, apart from a load of xruns that give audible clicks
when playing the midi keyboard. I'll need to sort that out. Other music apps,
Horgand, Phasex, Hydrogen, etc, that use Jack, are working ok.

It's interesting that if I SSH into Fedora 7 from my other machine, that has
FC2 booted up at the moment, and start ZynAddSubFx from the CLI, it starts ok
with the GUI displayed on FC2, and there is no excessive CPU useage showing
on Fedora 7. It plays ok, and I can close it down ok. When I start it on the
CLI, I do get some errors showing regarding Lash, that I see now is a
dependency for ZynAddSubFx. See below.

 zynaddsubfx
lash_open_socket: could not look up host 'localhost': Servname not supported
for ai_socktype
lash_open_socket: could not connect to host 'localhost', service '14541'
lash_comm_connect_to_server: could not create server connection
lash_init: could not connect to server 'localhost' - disabling LASH
lash_init: LASH_START_SERVER unset, not attempting to start server
automatically

ZynAddSubFX - Copyright (c) 2002-2005 Nasca Octavian Paul
Compiled: Mar 14 2007 22:15:48
This program is free software (GNU GPL v.2) and
    it comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.

Try 'zynaddsubfx --help' for command-line options.
Sound Buffer Size =     256 samples
Internal latency =      5.8 ms
ADsynth Oscil.Size =    512 samples
JACK tmpdir identified as [/dev/shm]
No supported SIMD instruction sets detected
Internal SampleRate   = 44100
Jack Output SampleRate= 44100

I have planetccrma realtime kernels installed on my other Fedora versions, and
am downloading one for Fedora 7 at the moment, not that I see the lack of
realtime being the problem, as there are no realtime kernels on my Debian
installs, and Zyn works ok.

When the download has finished (dialup), and installed, I'll try Zyn again on
Fedora 7 with the realtime kernel, and if it's still no-go, I'll boot up FC5
on the same machine, and check out the deps, etc for Zyn. I know it works ok
on FC5, as it has since FC1. I sort of suspect Lash, and it will be
interesting to see if it was a dep for Zyn on FC5.

It's not desperate that it works on Fedora 7, but would be nice to discover
what the problem is.

btw. All my Fedora installs are fresh installs, so there should be no
upgrading from one version to the next problems.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Nigel.