Re: DD not working--SUCCESS!

On Sun, 2 Sep 2007, Karl Larsen wrote:

... my condemnation snipped ...

>    First, the PAPER is in Gedit. It is written for me.

  but by posting it here, you are implicitly promoting it as good
advice for readers of this list.  and that's simply irresponsible.

> With the exception of 9. all that is there has been tested by me and
> it works fine.

  i'm not talking about the latest version (which, as i pointed out,
*still* has a blatant error in it), i'm talking about all the
*earlier* versions, which numerous readers kept correcting of their
faults.

  a lot of us (me included) have invested time in writing
documentation that we're willing to share with the world, but we
generally take the time to polish it first -- we don't keep posting
revised versions, asking "ok, so what about *this* one?  does *this*
one work?"

> I'm sorry that your the protector of the WORLD from bad writing.

  it's a tough job, but maybe it will keep someone from borking their
system because they followed your instructions.  and if they do, are
you willing to be held responsible?  hmmmmm?

>   But one thing your really good at rday is damming someones writing
> without telling them what is wrong with it. If there is something
> wrong with 9. what is it? Most of 9. I took out of info dd.

and i quote, verbatim:

"9. The default number of bytes per Block is defaulted to 150."

here, karl ... let me introduce you to google:

http://www.google.com/search?q=dd+default+block+size&sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGGL,GGGL:2006-10,GGGL:en

  and, just because i'm feeling masochistic, karl, i'm going to ask
you one more time -- why do you not get your own blog?  that way, you
can publish to your heart's content, and you'll have a permanent
record of everything you write, and you can wander off-topic as much
as you want, and ***no one will care***.

  ***why***, karl, for god's sake, do you keep inflicting your mostly
pointless and oftentimes erroneous meanderings on this mailing list?
how many people need to ask you to get a blog before you take it
seriously?  really, how many?  give us a number, and we'll see what we
can do.

rday
Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA