Re: C++ compilers on Linux supporting 64bit architecture?

Matthew Saltzman wrote:
On Sat, 2007-09-01 at 21:20 -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
Matthew Saltzman writes:

On Sat, 2007-09-01 at 05:23 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:

In Linux Bo, if you want to write in 64 bit you load the version of Fedora 7 that is totally 64 bit. This is the f7 x86-64 distribution and different than Microsoft, you can download this free. Then you can compile in C or C++ with 64 bit. No need to cross/compile.
Just to be contrary, what would you suggest if Bo only has access to
32-bit hardware, but wants to create 64-bit binaries to run on another
machine?
Unless he wants to build his own version of binutils and gcc, that targets 64 bit ELF, he should simply build the software on the other 64 bit machine.

Yes, I actually suggested building one's own early in the thread.
Should have made it clearer that I was just trying to yank Karl's chain
a bit...

I felt the chain pull. You can pre-set a lot of things in GCC, too many I think but the bit size is not settable. Too bad but it is that way because it isn't easy to do ;-)

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User