Re: C++ compilers on Linux supporting 64bit architecture?

Bo Berglund wrote:
On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 05:23:18 -0600, Karl Larsen <k5di@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Bo Berglund wrote:
1) Is it possible to cross-compile on Linux 32 bit to produce an
executable for the 64bit architecture Linux as well as 32 bit?

In Linux Bo, if you want to write in 64 bit you load the version of Fedora 7 that is totally 64 bit. This is the f7 x86-64 distribution and different than Microsoft, you can download this free. Then you can compile in C or C++ with 64 bit. No need to cross/compile.

Yes, I understand that in 64bit Linux you would be able to compile for
the 64bit platform....
But our development machines are mostly (95%) Windows 32bit systems
and I had in mind to use VirtualPC in order to have the developers
running Linux on their own Windows machines for compiles etc.
Then we would use a single hardware Linux machine for actual testing.

Unfortunately VirtualPC2007 does not support loading anything else
than 32 bit operating systems into a virtual machine, so we are left
with that. We use VPC2007 a lot for testing purposes, so we are
comfortable with that system except for the 64bit support (or lack
thereof).

Bo Berglund

Hi Bo, sorry but I am ignorant about Windows. I have been just Linux for many years. Each year Linux seems to get better. That doesn't seem to hold for Windows. I think WindowsXP with all the updates is a pretty good operating system. Vista seems to have been an error.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User