Re: LVM or FS:EXT3?

On Fri, 2007-08-31 at 12:21 +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> The disks themselves. I've yet to meet a reliable disk, ever year or
> two one dies on me.

How do you treat them?

With all due respect to the Google research that says hot drives aren't
a problem, I don't buy it.  Warm drives, maybe, but I've seen plenty
that get painfully hot, and those drives did become unreliable.  When
I've built, or rebuilt, systems so that the drives don't roast, they
seem to last well.

You also want to minimise vibration.  Use all four screw mount points,
and firmly.  If you hear it buzzing, that's not good.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.22.4-65.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.