Re: DD not working--SUCCESS!

On Fri, 2007-08-31 at 11:55 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
> The Rescue disk does not have dd.

This is false.

Because I found your statement so incredulous, I had to prove it.
Accordingly, I just booted from the F7 rescue CD, and when I got to the
shell prompt, I typed 'dd' and it worked. It would be hard to imagine an
effective rescue CD that lacked such basic utilities.

Not that I think it will make much difference, but I have to echo the
sentiments of others and say that copying a live, mounted partition with
a non-atomic utility like dd is foolhardy at best.

The fact that you did and it seemed to work does not mean that doing so
is safe. We've all done stupid things in our lives that should have
killed us but we somehow made out ok. That doesn't mean I'm going to
recommend to my children to do the same stupid things.