Re: Torrent Freeze

Robert Nichols wrote:
Per Anton Ronning wrote:
I have so far downloaded 363,593,728 bytes of this file, but now the problem I describe is putting a stop to further downloading.
[SNIP]
Thanks a lot. It started downloading with no freeze so far, and -c made it append to the incomplete *.iso file already downloaded.

You're going to be disappointed in the result.  The FTP client is
going to assume that you have the first 363,593,728 bytes of the
iso file.  That assumption is very wrong.  What you have is random
chunks of the iso all packed together into a file.  The FTP client
will append the remainder of the iso, leaving you with an unusable
result.

All is not lost, though.  You just need to get the first portion
of the file again and append the remainder.  Let your FTP download
complete, then rename the resulting file:

  $ mv F-7-i386-DVD.iso rest.dat

Now start the FTP download again.  Wait until at least 363,593,728
bytes have been downloaded and then interrupt the download.  Now
you can use dd to put the good pieces together:

  $ dd if=rest.dat of=F-7-i386-DVD.iso bs=256k skip=1387 seek=1387

Now you've got a complete iso file that should pass the SHA1
check.  Note: 363,593,728 = 256K x 1387.

Thank you. I will go ahead with this when the download is complete.
Right now I have 1.6G remaining.

I also have another option: Wiley is publishing the "Fedora (X) and Red Hat Enterprise Linux (X-1) Bible" , which is a comprehensive and good manual . I have one for X=5, and Amazon now offers X=7. There will be a F7 distro DVD enclosed in the book. I may want to buy this book anyway, but I want to try out what I am doing right now.

Brgds
PAR