help or recomendation for PCI-express graphics card

I am still having problems with the system hanging at first time boot up stage after installing fedora 7 -it installs ok without error messages using an old matrox millennium G something pci card, but asks me to click an area to bottom right of the screen that is not visible at post installation first boot stage.

I can't seem to resize the screen and it hangs when I move the mouse to the edge of the screen.

Is there a way to get it to boot in text mode in case the default screen settings are too high definition for the card?

The system is tyan thunder dual opteron and has 1 32 bit pci slot 1 pci-express.

Has anyone experienced similar problems or can recommend a good (but affordable) pci-express card known to work with fedora 7?