Re: dd and cp -a

Karl Larsen wrote:
I have this computer on /dev/sda and the new hard drive is /dev/sdb. This F7 is all in /dev/sda6 and I want to copy /dev/sda6 to /dev/sdb5. I tried dd but it failed I think because /dev/sdb5 is smaller 10 GB than /dev/sda6 which is 30 GB. It ended with an error message.

So back to cp -a but there is a hitch. I redid /sdb5 with another ext3 file system and I can mount it to /mnt on this computer. So it is easy to cp all from /dev/sda6 to /dev/sdb5 but, with a simple # cp -a / /mnt it will do all that fine but then want to copy /mnt to the new /dev/sdb5.

   Does anyone know a secret that will work? I will read man cp again :-)

I'm not 100% clear what's missing here.  If /dev/sdb5 is
mounted as mount then copying the stuff to /mnt has copied
it to the file system on /dev/sdb5.  Remount it as / and
you're done surely?

(Aside: I think 10GB might be a bit cramped for a Fedora
install if it's going to hold /home as well.)

--
imalone