Re: F7 updates not making to public

On Wed, 2007-08-29 at 19:05 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-08-29 at 11:05 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > Anyway, concerning your comment, Tim, for a mirror to be up-to-date
> > quickly after new updates have been released, it takes a passionate
> > mirror-admin.
>
> I would have thought it to be entirely automatic, so the admin didn't
> have to do anything unless a fault occurred.  At least for the mirrors
> that YUM has lists of.

I think it is more of "how" the automation is done.  I could be wrong
and have no internal knowledge of the infrastructure, but it seems like
a pull rather than push operation.  In other words, the individual
mirrors are periodically pulling/re-sync'ing with some sort of master.
To avoid slaughtering the master, I think the mirrors are typically
configured to check/sync probably once, twice, maybe six times a day and
might even be at various intervals.  And different mirror admins have
different load concerns and probably thoughts on proper frequency of
polling.  Oh, and let me add, I really hope the master is hidden from us
running "yum update".....

The announcement emails seem to be hitting us when the update hits the
master.  I think I recall a thread a long time ago that complained about
the emails being held up to give the mirrors time to get - but now we
have the reverse - emails before the updates hit the mirrors.

These days, I'm tending the read the emails as a warning: here is what I
am going to get hit with within the next 24 hours or when I run an
update.  I only get nervous if an announcement doesn't get applied and
24 hours has gone by.  Then I think something went wrong, like this last
batch that started this thread....

--Rob