Re: AppArmor for Fedora

On Mon, 2007-08-27 at 19:50 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
>    I just typed vim in my Terminal and it came up asking me to join a
> vim lovers list. I then spent a couple of minutes figuring out how to
> turn it off :-(

Type in vim by itself, and you see this:

~                              VIM - Vi IMproved
~
~                                version 7.1.12
~                           by Bram Moolenaar et al.
~                      Modified by <bugzilla@xxxxxxxxxx>
~                 Vim is open source and freely distributable
~
~                        Become a registered Vim user!
~                type  :help register<Enter>   for information
~
~                type  :q<Enter>               to exit
~                type  :help<Enter>  or  <F1>  for on-line help
~                type  :help version7<Enter>   for version info

Now, how hard is it to figure out how to exit the program?  It should
take you two attempts to try either q or :q to exit.  People often
presume the usual meaning of the colon in an instruction (this is
related to that, which you'd type, properly, as "type: q<Enter>"), but
in this case, it's one of characters that you must type.

If you'd typed something and lost sight of that screen, how hard would
it have been to open another terminal, and do it again?

> Now to read man vim and maybe info vim. Seem like if your right in
> the middle of a problem the only editor at hand is vim :-[

That's one reason why to learn to use at least its basic features.  It's
included with probably most releases, and sometimes is the only editor
available.  It's better to know how to use it to edit your fstab file,
or whatever else, ahead of a crisis.

If you're a true glutton for punishment, try learning emacs.  ;-)

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.22.1-41.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.