Re: Broadcom 4318 wireless again ...

Ian Chapman wrote:
Klaus-Peter Schrage wrote:

No bcm43xx is still bcm43xx, and it works with v3 firmware for me (wl_apsta-3.130.20.0.o, see link above). bcm43xx-mac80211 now has been renamed to b43. Perhaps is this one who gets loaded and craves for the v4 firmware, see your dmesg output.

AH yes it was because it was loading the b43 driver. So it's working now, thanks. Weeks ago when I tried the reason why it never worked was because of the missing pci-id in sysfs. I think I'll move the stuff in rc.local to somewhere earlier in the boot process though because several services which rely on the network being present fail to startup (eg autofs pulling stuff from ldap) and wpa_supplicant segfaults too.
I have found a good place to load the bcm43xx driver to be rc.sysinit, to where I moved the two lines from rc.local after line 301, right after the 'fix console loglevel' block. When the driver gets loaded thus early, wpa_supplicant should be ok.
Klaus