Steps to install Fedora 7 using a USB external hard disk on i386 system without DVD Drive

Hi,

As we know, the Fedora 7 ISO image only comes in DVD format. For those that would like to install/upgrade to Fedora 7 but without a DVD drive, I did the external USB hard disk install since most of us should have an external hard disk or can easily borrow from a friend.

The steps are as follows.

(1) Download both "F-7-i386-rescuecd.iso" and "F-7-i386-DVD.iso" from any of the mirror site.
(2) Burn the "F-7-i386-rescuecd.iso" to a CD-R
(3) Copy the "F-7-i386-DVD.iso" to a USB external hard disk into a folder say "Fedora" (or any name). Note that this external hard disk is a FAT32 formatted disk for my case.
(4) Connect the external hard disk to the system USB port.
(5) Boot the system using the rescue CD-R which you have created in step (2)
(6) Choose the 1st option "install/upgrade" existing system
(7) Select Hard Disk option
(8) Choose the USB hard disk detected by your system. It should be something like /dev/sXXX. Use the F2 key to browse the content of your external hard disk to confirm the correct path of your external USB hard disk.
(9) Specify the folder as "Fedora" (or any name) you created in step (3). This folder is where the "F-7-i386-DVD.iso" is located.
(10) The normal Fedora 7 install screen take over.
(11) Reboot after the installation and your system is now installed/upgraded to Fedora 7.

It works for me, hope this simple guide works for you too especially for those hunting high and low for the Fedora 7 iso image in CD format. Fedora 7 is FREE so why pay $$$ for the iso image in CD format.

Regards,
Ernest

https://fcp.surfsite.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=197216&topic_id=43275&forum=32#forumpost197216
If you think, this is spam, please report this to webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and/or blame ay0my@xxxxxxxxxxxxx