Re: CUPS problem

Tim wrote:

Though it could be co-incidental, and now might be the time to
dissassemble the PC, clean out the heatsinks, check that all the plugs
and sockets are firm (disconnect and reconnect them), likewise with the
daughter cards.  If you still have freezing problems with different OSs,
then that does point to there being some kind of hardware fault that'll
need a replacement to fix.
I have tried to lay a trap. On my backup machine's ssh link to the main computer I started "top", showing which programs are using most resources. After some time the machine froze (it was left idle, only connected to the internet via Firefox), and the program at the top when it froze was "updateb". I did Gooogle for updateb and I found that this is a cron job, that maybe has caused trouble for others as well (I found a discussion on the Linux Thinkpad Mailing List).
Does anyone here have any experience with this?
The posting suggested to disable the updatep program, but I am not sure whether there will be other side-effects of this. Anyone know?

I also got a tip from a friend of mine, who runs MAC. He also had a similar kind of instability, and after running a memory analysis program he discovered faulty memory.
Anyone else having similar experiences?

Brgds
PAR