dev file goes missing after reboot

I have just started using jpilot to sync my Palm-top.

Jpilot expects to have /dev/pilot links to the device file connecting the palmtop. In this case, I do a

ln /dev/ttyS0 /dev/pilot
chmod o+rw /dev/pilot

This work great. However, when I restart the computer the next day, the link is gone. I have to recreate it.

This is the first I have noticed this behavior. Any idea as to why this happens?

Phil