System -> Administration -> Soundcard detection no longer hear sound

While I was installing Fedora 7, I heard sound during
the sound test. After Fedora 7 was installed, I tried
System -> Administration -> Soundcard detection and I
heard sound.

I installed Macromedia, mplayer, vlc. I tried to watch
youtube and did not hear sound. I used the
System -> Preferences -> Personal -> volume control

I now do not hear sound when I select
System -> Administration -> Soundcard detection.

What could explain the soundcard not being detected?

Should I reinstall Fedora 7?

I sent an email out on Monday, 20th Aug to which noone
has responded. Are people tired of helping people get
sound working? Is the subject of no interest?

If anyone can give advice or feedback, I would appreciate
it. Can someone point me to documentation?

Thank you for your attention and consideration,

Darlene Wallach