Re: Logrotate - daily log files for a month

On Thu, 2007-08-23 at 09:58 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> John Horne wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Using Fedora 7, I am trying to see how we can rotate some log files each
> > day, but keep a month's worth of files.
> >
> > Logrotate can rotate the files daily, and I can specify something like:
> >
> >    daily
> >    start 1
> >    rotate 30
> >
> > But this does not account for month's of 31 days, or February with 28/29
> > days. Likewise if I set 'rotate 31' then this is not going to work on
> > those months of just 30 days.
> >
> > Does anyone have any ideas about this?
> >

> > Thanks,
> >
> > John.
> >
> You can control how many old log files are kept by changing "rotate
> 4" to how many weeks of backlogs you want to keep, This is in
> /etc/logrotate.conf. You can control individual logs by editing the
> corresponding file in /etc/logrotate.d and adding/changing the
> rotate line. You can find more information by running "man logrotate".

? We want daily log files, so setting 'rotate 4' will only give us 4 log
files. Using weeks is no good because a month is not a fixed number of
weeks - 30 and 31 days are not 4 weeks and vice-versa.

John.

John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK  Tel: +44 (0)1752 233914
E-mail: John.Horne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx       Fax: +44 (0)1752 233839