Re: Xen, QEMU/KVM or Vmware ?

John Lagrue wrote:
Being quite keen on the concept of virtualisation, I find myself in a
bit of a quandary with F7.

Being one who needs an uptodate kernel (my laptop power does funny
things with older ones) I can't run Xen because the kernels are too
old. Therefore I have QEMU/KVM or Vmware.

Though the F7 documents talk lightly about QEMU being all part of the
Virtual Machine Manager, it isn't really; the resulting systems are
slow, refuse to boot off valid ISO images and have no configuration
options for networking. They don't even use the system CDROM until you
specifically add it after the virtual machine is built. So I use
qemu-kvm on the command line; not that the Fedora documents mention
that option - thank heaven for Google!

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Fedora7VirtQuickStart is referenced from the docs site.

libvirt and associated tools like virsh and virt-manager provide a neutral interface to all underlying VM technologies they support including Qemu, KVM and Xen.

Rahul