Re: Grub problems

Michael W Cocke wrote:
> Just a small wishlist item in case a grub god sees this - how can I
> get my computer to NOT try to boot off my MP3 player?  It's not a boot
> device in the BIOS, and I've tried all sorts of really stupid hacks to
> get it to just ignore the damn thing...  nope.  If it's plugged in,
> grub gets as far as displaying "GRUB  " in the upper left corner of
> the screen and that's it.  I've lived with it this long, so it's no
> big deal, but I thought I'd mention it in passing.
>
> Mike-

More information would be helpful. From what you have said, it
sounds like a BIOS problem more then a grub problem. What I suspect
is happening is that the device mapping done by the BIOS changes
when you have the MP3 player plugged in. I could see that if you
were booting Linux off a USB hard drive, as it would be mapping both
drives, and the MP3 player is being mapped first. When booting, grub
only knows abouts, and can access, the drives that the BIOS know about.

Mikkel