Re: ACHI support

>         Create /etc/modprobe.d/atapienable containing
>
>                 options ibata atapi_enabled=1

This one shouldn't be needed, the default is atapi enabled since 2.6.18
or so.

>         Create /etc/sysconfig/mkinitrd containing
>
>                 MODULES="ahci"
>
>         to ensure that future kernel initrds will contain the ahci module.

Ah I was trying to work out why it didn't "just work" - your default
initrd didn't have the AHCI driver. I thought 2.6.22 should be working!

> - "hdparm -tT /dev/sda" doesn't show much difference in performance
> between compatibility and AHCI modes.  Where should I expect to see a
> performance difference, and are there any other settings needed to help
> it along?

AHCI improves performance under load - the cost to issue a command is
lower than with traditional IDE interfaces for one, and if your drive has
NCQ support we can give the drive multiple commands at a time, and the
drive is able to fulfill them out of order according to things like head
position. As the drive has a list of work to do it can do it more
efficiently based on its detailed knowledge of the media.