Re: FC7 clock applet start-of-week question

On Wed, 2007-08-22 at 07:06 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:

> > > Yes. GNOME uses the locale or at least it used to. I had this problem
> > > quite a while ago and I fixed mine like this. That problem now no longer
> > > exists for me. I do not know of any control other than selecting the
> > > proper locale or editing the file as it says in the link. I also do not
> > > recall having to change as much
> > >
> > > This line in my en_US (Fedora 8) is not like his example either. Mine reads:
> > >
> > > 7;19671130;7
> > >
> > > And my calendar starts with Sunday.
> > > --
> >
> > I have several Fedora 7 systems, all have the "week" value
> > in /usr/share/i18n/locales/en_US of
> >         week    7;19971130;7
> > and one has the left-most calendar column as Saturday and another has
> > the left-most column as Sunday.  I'd think that if this controlled the
> > applet display then everyone who installed Fedora 7 and selected the
> > "EN_US" locale would display the same calendar format.
>
> That setting can be changed if you use Evolution as that applet is tied
> into it. Evolution>Calendars>Edit>preferences will get you at those
> settings ;-)
The above is not true on my machine. The date-time applet goes Sun->
Sat, while the evolution calender goes Mon-> Sun.

Quality Control, n.: The process of testing one out of every 1,000 units
coming off a production line to make sure that at least one out of 100
works.

I log off as me, log on as root (same machine), and I see the calendar starting on Sunday.  If I log off and back on as me, I see it start on Saturday.

So, I renamed my home directory and deleted/added myself as a user (the long way around, but it does what I wanted to test).  I then logged on as me and had the calendar starting on Sunday.  I then copied stuff from my saved home directory to my new home directory (skipping anything that started with ".g"), logged off and back on as me, and the calendar then started on Saturday again.

It's a user-by-user setting somewhere.  Could be Evolution--hadn't tried that.  I don't see anything there about what day a full week starts on, but it's easy to dig into.

-- Mark C. Allman, PMP
-- Allman Professional Consulting, Inc.
-- 617-947-4263
-- www.allmanpc.com

BusinessMsg -- the secure, managed, J2EE/AJAX Enterprise IM/IC solution.