Re: missing piece of HDD while installed F7 for thinkpad T61

On Tue, 2007-08-21 at 22:14 -0400, Todd Zullinger wrote:
> Konstantin Svist wrote:
> > Whenever you buy a hard drive, the rating you see on the package is
> > MiB, not MB - in other words, the system where there are 1,000,000
> > Bytes in a "MegaByte".  When you install Fedora, it displays the
> > space in actual MegaBytes where there are 1,048,576 Bytes in a
> > MegaByte
>
> That's one (quite possible) explanation.  Another thing to check is
> the output of fdisk.  It may show that there is another partition
> setup for the recovery and reinstallation of the original OS.  To use
> fdisk to list the partition table, you'd use "fdisk -l /dev/sda"
> You'll need to either be root or be in the disk group.  You may also
> need to adjust the path if /dev/sda isn't where your disk is at.

The partition in question is hidden, and doesn't seem to  show up in
fdisk.  If you didn't overwrite the MBR with GRUB, then F11 at the boot
screen will let you boot the "rescue and recovery" system from it.  If
you did install GRUB in the MBR instead of /boot's boot record, then you
can still use GRUB to boot the R&R partition.

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Rescue_and_Recovery

Disclaimer: I haven't tried this yet.  I did forget and overwrote the
MBR on installing F7.

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences