Re: X windows freezes on start

Hi Ed

Ed Greshko wrote:
Langdon Stevenson wrote:
I decided to check if X works on my new server and ran into the
following problem:

Server starts at run level 3 and operates fine.

When I:

  startx

from the command line, X loads, then when it reaches the point where it
displays the splash screen for login, the splash screen flashes up for a
moment, with the cursor displaying as a hash of colour, then the screen
goes blank.

Not sure what you mean by "splash screen for login" since you are already
logged in right?

Sorry, you are correct. It will be the desktop that is displayed. The glimpse is so short that there are no toolbars, or icons loaded.

Check out your /var/log/Xorg.0.log for errors.

Ok, tailing /var/log/Xorg.0.log when I "startx" produces no output to the log at all.

You could also edit your /etc/inittab file and bring up the system in run
level 5 to see if there are any problems.

Tried this with same outcome. When X starts it freezes (and I can't ssh in).

I will work through Kam's requests,  see what I come up with and post back.

Thanks for your input.

Regards,
Langdon