Re: X windows freezes on start

Langdon Stevenson wrote:
> I decided to check if X works on my new server and ran into the
> following problem:
>
> Server starts at run level 3 and operates fine.
>
> When I:
>
>   startx
>
> from the command line, X loads, then when it reaches the point where it
> displays the splash screen for login, the splash screen flashes up for a
> moment, with the cursor displaying as a hash of colour, then the screen
> goes blank.

Not sure what you mean by "splash screen for login" since you are already
logged in right?

Check out your /var/log/Xorg.0.log for errors.

You could also edit your /etc/inittab file and bring up the system in run
level 5 to see if there are any problems.

--
Flugg's Law:
	When you need to knock on wood is when you realize