Re: HP warranty

David L. Gehrt wrote:
For the past  couple of months I have  been having intermittent, serious
problems  with  my  firewall/gateway  machine which  have  disrupted  my
network (especially  email) which caused  me to get suspended  from this
list.

The  end result was  the replacement  with an  unused system  which then
suffered a catastrophic disk failure,  and resulted in my purchase of my
first complete system from a  major vendor, HP.  Before this acquisition
I spent  the past 20 years getting  parts from Fry's and  other Bay Area
stores, and assembling systems on my  own.  When I tried to register the
hardware I had some problems  relating to the failure of Internet access
to an  HP computer  system.  I called  the tech  support line to  do the
thing, but I aborted this call when  I was told by a tech support person
AND his supervisor  that I would be ineligible  for tech support because
about the  first thing  I did with  the system  was blow away  Vista and
installed Fedora Linux (FC6, not F7 or F8).

I am  interested in discovering whether  others have heard  of this crap
and how people were able to deal with this issue.

I've had an HP laptop for a long time and have had a lot of problems with it. Regardless, every time I would bring it in for service, I would format the HD or put in a blank one. They never complained.

Note: I had a CompUSA warranty - which basically meant they take care of shipping & such and warranty was extended by a few years. This is not really relevant in this case, though.