Re: Alternative booting

On Sun, 2007-08-19 at 14:45 +0100, Chris Jones wrote:
> Yeah, but the problem is nothing to do with the bootloader. Its the *bios*
> that cannot access past a certain part of the disk.
>
> Also, the problem is only on older systems that cannot access below cylinder
> 1024 - Newer systems can. These older bioses come from the days when 8Gig
> disks (roughly what the 1024 cylinder gives you) where considered so huge
> that such a limit wasn't considered a problem.  Assumptions like this always
> come back.

I'd say not (regarding the age issue).  I just came across this issue on
a 2002 motherboard.  That's long after issues with such small hard
drives should have gone away.  And I've older boards where the problem
doesn't exist.

GRUB, which is using BIOS routines, has trouble reading past the first
two partitions on one drive [1], though manages to see all the
partitions on another drive.  Post boot, running the GRUB shell, in the
OS enviroment, it can read all the partitions.

1.  e.g. Typing root(hd0,<tab> in the GRUB shell.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.22.1-41.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.