Re: Alternative booting

David Krings wrote:
> Chris Jones wrote:
>>> BIOS is not the problem as I was able to successfully boot several times
>>> with the exact same BIOS without any problems.
>>
>> This proves nothing.
>>
>> The fact that you can boot a few times straight after a fresh install,
>> *before* any updates only proves that during the initial install the
>> contents of /boot are created at a point that 'just happens', through
>> luck, to place them on disk at a position your bios can read.
>
> OK, but isn't the only limit in regard to the BIOS the 1024 cylinder
> limit? Someone pointed out that this is roughly 8G. Since I always
> booted off a partition that was past the 30G mark it doesn't strike me
> as if there is a BIOS issue....unless someone digs up yet another mark
> that may play a role. So if it is a BIOS 1024 cylinder issue it ought to
> have never worked.

No - there are other BIOS limits. There is more then one way to get
around the 1024 cylinder limit as well. You could do a search on
BIOS disk limits, and do some reading. You could also do a quick
test by creating a /boot partition at the end of the disk, and a
grub boot floppy, and see if it can access the kernel there. If you
can not boot from a floppy, I think you can create a grub boot USB
stick - just remember that the BIOS will map the USB drive the first
BIOS drive...

Mikkel