Re: Alternative booting

> So, unless my list above is incomplete it doesn't really allow for much
> else other than GRUB/kernel or some mysterious force from above. So what
> is the next thing you tell me? Aliens abducted my system? ;)

You can discount the kernel since, as far as I understand when you have the
problem all you get is

grub>

I.e. you have only got to the grub prompt - The kernel only comes into play
*after* grub, once grub has found the kernel you selected.

The fact you don't get that far means grub is unable to find the kernel you
requested (or its own config file perhaps ?). This means grub cannot
read /boot for some reason.

>From your list this leaves

- hardware
- BIOS
- GRUB
- user

and from the details in this thread I cannot discount any of the above
(although personally I would consider GRUB the least likely)

You say you have installed this system a few times - How hard would it be to
just install one more time, but this time with a /boot at the start of your
drive - This will either a) work, so all is fine or b) not work, proving
something or other about the problem.

Chris