Re: Alternative booting

David Krings wrote:
> Chris Jones wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Out of interest, when you install F7 where do you put the /boot
>> partition ? I.e. is it a separate small 100M or so partition at the
>> start of your drive, or do you make it a simple directory under your
>> main / partition ?
>
> I put it all into one partition. The multipartition setup wa sintroduced
> to me as an advantage solely when one wants to remove/replace sections
> of the system or is forced to do so when using small drives. As neither
> is the case for my setup I didn't bother with it. I also never know on
> how large to make those partitions. Will a 100M partition be big enough?

Ball part figure - 218k for Grub, and about 6M for each kernel
installed.

>> The fact that you find grub broken only after updates is odd. Note
>> that the point of a separate /boot is to make sure all the files
>> needed by grub are at the start of the drive, where the bios can
>> access them. If you don't do this then what might happen is files get
>> written to grub that reside in parts of the drive that cannot be read
>> at boot time, hence problems. This could also explain why things work
>> for the first install but then break after updates.
>
> Which is interesting as other OS don't have that problem. At least W2k
> doesn't. I used to have a system where I had the boot partition fairly
> far to the end and way after the 1024 block limit. But, it did drop the
> ntloader into the first partition.

It does, but in a slightly different way:

"The resulting symptom typically would be a blue screen during the
boot process with the message indicating that one of the critical
system files is missing or corrupted."

> So why not give an option to write
> the kernel data onto the first partition regardless of what that is,
> although....it then needs to be able to read NTFS. I guess that would be
> asking too much.

Read support for NTFS has been in the kernel for a while. Write
support is available as well. (I forgot the package name.)

Mikkel