Re: Sending "pop up" messages to peer machines

Jesus Jr M Salvo wrote:
On 18/08/07, Don Russell <fedora@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have an FC7 box running some basic things like e-mail etc.

The LAN is basicaly made up of that machine and a handful of Windows
(2000 and XP) machines.
I am also anticipating adding an Apple Mac machine to the mix, as well
as a Linux laptop.

I want an application on the FC7 box to send a "pop up" message to all
the other machines on the network.

In researching "net send <bios-name> <text>" I discovered a program like
WinPopup is needed on the windows machines... further investigation into
that looks like it's old information, pertaining to Windows 3.1, 95 and
98, explicitly NOT supported in Windows NT... and I'm assuming Windows
2000/XP.

The question is... how do I make my FC7 box "aware" of all the other
machines on the peer network so it knows who to send messages to?

Is there some sort of broadcast I can send out like a "OK, sound
off...." and all recipients of that broadcast respond with a "OK, my
name is ..." (or just having the IP address would probably suffice)

Then I can send the message to each device that replied...

Anybody have any pointers/suggestions?

Thank you

Why not use Jabber ? In the company that I work for, we have our own
internal Jabber server and all PCs ( windows, et.. ) are running some
Jabber client so we can all communicate with each other. We have 2
offices on 2 states, and each office is about 3 or more floors of
office building.

Jabber looks interesting..... I just "yum install ejabberd" and will have a look at how to "make it go" over the next few days....

Thanks