Re: Sending "pop up" messages to peer machines

On 18/08/07, Don Russell <fedora@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have an FC7 box running some basic things like e-mail etc.
>
> The LAN is basicaly made up of that machine and a handful of Windows
> (2000 and XP) machines.
> I am also anticipating adding an Apple Mac machine to the mix, as well
> as a Linux laptop.
>
> I want an application on the FC7 box to send a "pop up" message to all
> the other machines on the network.
>
> In researching "net send <bios-name> <text>" I discovered a program like
> WinPopup is needed on the windows machines... further investigation into
> that looks like it's old information, pertaining to Windows 3.1, 95 and
> 98, explicitly NOT supported in Windows NT... and I'm assuming Windows
> 2000/XP.
>
> The question is... how do I make my FC7 box "aware" of all the other
> machines on the peer network so it knows who to send messages to?
>
> Is there some sort of broadcast I can send out like a "OK, sound
> off...." and all recipients of that broadcast respond with a "OK, my
> name is ..." (or just having the IP address would probably suffice)
>
> Then I can send the message to each device that replied...
>
> Anybody have any pointers/suggestions?
>
> Thank you

Why not use Jabber ? In the company that I work for, we have our own
internal Jabber server and all PCs ( windows, et.. ) are running some
Jabber client so we can all communicate with each other. We have 2
offices on 2 states, and each office is about 3 or more floors of
office building.