Re: Sending "pop up" messages to peer machines

On 8/17/07, Don Russell <fedora@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Yes, the computers are all connected via the LAN, though they do not
> share any disk space etc. Each of the Windows machines use an IMAP
> e-mail client to talk to the FC7 box. Each machine can FTP to the FC7
> box, and ssh....

Sounds to me like you want to look into Zephyr.

The last time I used it personally was about 8 years ago.  Geez I'm
getting old.  Anyway, it could do exactly what you wanted on Unix, and
worked on Windows if you had an X server, I think.  (e.g., with cygwin
or something like that.)

http://web.mit.edu/answers/zephyr/

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs.cmu.edu/academic/class/15213-s03/www/zephyr.html