Re: wireless suggstions

On Fri, 2007-08-17 at 13:15 -0500, Javier Perez wrote:

> On 8/17/07, Knute Johnson <knute@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>         >On Thu, 2007-08-16 at 14:15 -0700, Knute Johnson wrote:
>         >> No SSIDs ever show up in the nm-applet menu.
>         >
>         >Obivous question:  Are the SSIDs being broadcast?  Some
>         people set up
>         >their gear not to broadcast them, *erroneously* believing
>         that it's a
>         >good thing to do, security-wise.
>
>         Yes the SSID is on.
>
>         --
>         Knute Johnson
>         Molon Labe...
>

>         --
>
> Sorry to barge in, but I wondered why is it "erroneous" to believe
> that broadcasting
> the SSID would lower the security of my wireless rig?
> I know it is security through obscurity and I do not depend only on
> that to keep my wifi
> safe. Nevertheless, it is one more step for a would be attacker.
This is a matter of debate. I have a CISCO wireless book that advises
all SSID-s be hidden. How important that is depends on what environment
you run your machine in. If you have good security otherwise then maybe
hiding SSID is an extra step that is not essential.
Space is to place as eternity is to time. -- Joseph Joubert