Re: Has anyone ever made scanning work?

Bill Davidsen wrote:
alan wrote:
On Mon, 13 Aug 2007, Steven P. Ulrick wrote:

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 15:13:11 -0400
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Has anyone ever made scanning actually work with FC6 or FC7? I have
been trying in spare time for months, and bought a brand new Epson
perfection 2480 Photo scanner because it was supported.

Hello, Bill
I have an Epson Perfection 2400 Scanner.  I have been using it with
Fedora Core 6 ever since it was released.  MAY have used it with FC3,
can't remember.  I skipped FC4, so I can't comment on that.
In every case, it has, like another poster noted, "Just Worked."  For
example, after I did my most recent fresh install of FC6, the scanner
worked perfectly without having to do anything to make it work.

Just remember that scanners will not work if they are plugged into a USB hub. Not certain why, but it acts the same under Windows.

Don't have a hub AFAIK, certainly none in use, there may be one in a box somewhere. Good thought, though.

I got to this party late but thought it might be worthwhile to mention this. I put a Canoscan LIDE 35 that has been collecting dust on an old P3 machine and it "just worked". I moved it in to this machine, where I really wanted it, and it "JUST BECAME VERY INTERMITTENT". No external hub, no root hub port seemed to make any difference -- until I bought an externally-powered hub to drive the scanner. Shazam! It hasn't missed a beat since. Obviously, the bus-supplied power from this m/b,p/s combination was marginal.
The m/b that worked 100% - ASUS P3V4X Rev 1.xx
Intermittent m/b - ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Ver 2
Both with commodity p/s mfg by Obscurename, Ltd.

HTH