Re: FC7 update - try keepcache and downloadonly

Tim wrote:
On Thu, 2007-08-16 at 23:51 -0700, elk dolk wrote:
I had a fresh installation of FC7 and now I'm trying to update
it .When I download large packages like openoffice.org-core
update ,which is 76M, after downloading 40 or 50 Mb there is a beep
and this annoying socket error and then "timed out trying another url"
and it can not find another url .I downloaded openoffice.org-core
using ftp in windows

You didn't have to go to the Windows to do that.  You can use tools on
Linux that support resuming, if you want to do manual downloading.
"wget" and "curl" are command line tools that can, and gFTP is a GUI
tool that can.
Tim is correct, if you are having trouble with available mirrors. But the following might make it easier as well:

By default yum erases files after updates. It might help to put in /etc/yum.conf:
keepcache=1
failovermethod=priority

so that any downloaded files will be kept.

yum update yum

yum install yum-downloadonly

yum --downloadonly update -x openof* -x evolution -x thunderbird -x firefox

yum --downloadonly update

yum update

If that doesn't get it might help to insert your nearest - most reliable mirror as a baseurl in /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-updates.repo
That could be a http or ftp site.

DaveT.