Re: how to set up VM, or is there a freeware equivalent to Deep Freeze Software

On Wednesday 15 August 2007 03:45, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> Administering the Lab is a pain in the glass.  There are many threats,
> virii, spyware, trojan horses and the MySpace workarounds.  Kids are kids
> and there are several extreme ways to prevent the kids from doing bad
> stuff, disconnecting the computer from the internet.  Still kids manage to
> load games, download stuff, in restricted accounts, visit sites that are
> blocked and all.

[snip]

/// Note: what follows may possibly be off-topic. ///

Sorry for not quoting earlier posts in the thread, they're scattered around.

First I need to check if I understand the situation correctly. There is a
highschool computer lab, running Windows, connected to Internet, which is
used for teaching students Word, Excell and PowerPoint.

Q: is it sane to keep the lab connected to the Internet if it is used only for
this purpose?

These students are needed to learn those basic apps, while they are
profficient enough to be able to tweak the registry, change admin passwords,
circumvent firewalls etc.

Q: is it sane to assume that such students do not know how to use Word?

There is a lab administrator, who doesn't know how to change the admin
password if it is stolen, short of reinstalling the OS.

Q: is it sane to hire an incompetent administrator who is outperformed by geek
teenagers? (btw, tell him to google for "winternals", for example...)

Let me just paraphrase Douglas Adams and the Guide --- when creating a top
list of the most important things in life, "sanity" got stuck somewhere
around 182. place... :-)

Ok. Sanity aside, there are several distinct approaches to deal with the
problem.

1) Determine what *is* the problem, exactely. Why are the kids not allowed to
watch movies from YouTube, download music, etc? The only thing that one
really needs is a tight firewall preventing them from attacking outside world
(you don't want the kids to hack into Department of Defense or something).
Other than that, it's up to their education to help them restrain themselves
from immoral and similar content, rather than rules being enforced on them.

2) Delegate the problem to the kids themselves. Pick three or four of them
that are most knowledgeable wrt computers, and hire them as assistants in the
lab. Give them full access to computers, and ask them to do their best to
keep them in working order. I have personal experience that once a teenager
is given a task that assumes responsibility, "we rely on you" attitude and
proper respect to his computer skills, he tries to do his best to prove
himself worthy of it and up to the challange. Sometimes they exibit behavior
that is more adult then adults. Besides, one of the main point of school in
general is to teach children responsibility and help them grow more mature.
Administration of a computer lab is a nice toy-problem for that.

3) Fight against kids. Put passwords in bios, disable booting from anything
other than trusted media. Limit their user-rights. Or create diskless
machines that are booted over the net from a main server. Create domains or
such. Prohibit entering the lab with a laptop. Weld the computer case so it's
not to be opened easily (not kidding, I've seen this done!!). Log their
complete activity (web sites visited etc.), eventually displaying it on a
public place for everyone else to read. Send weekly reports to their parents.
Humiliate in public every kid that visits a porn site. Ask the
director/principal to punish every kid that ignores the rules. And so on...

A computer is a tool, and as such does not make a distiction between good and
bad usage. Consequently, it is inherently impossible to enforce only "good"
usage automatically. You have to use social rules, laws, punishment, etc.
If that is the approach you wish to pursue, that is.

If you ask me, I would go for option 2) and ask the kids to help me fix the
problems other kids made. Put *them* in charge and in your position, and let
them feel what it's like. They'll learn something far more serious and
important than Word and Excell... ;-)

Oh, and btw, regarding your original question, you may install Fedora on one
test machine, install vmware or similar with a frozen windows client (you do
have licensed windows, iirc), put a line in /etc/passwd to invoke it on every
login, and copy the frozen client from the backup on top of the
possibly-modified client on every logout. Instruct the kids to use cd/flash
memory/diskettes/other to save their data. Put the test machine randomly in
the lab, wait for a month, then decide what to do next.

P.S. Sorry for a long mail... ;-)

Best, :-)
Marko

Marko Vojinovic