Re: one more time -- broadcom wireless on f7 [SUCCESS!!]

On Wed, 2007-08-15 at 05:29 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Aug 2007, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>
> > Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >
> > >   there is little value in listing the 6 variations i've tried,
> > > just so someone can say, "here, here's a 7th possibility, maybe
> > > *that'll* work."
> >
> > Isn't that exactly what you have to do in a case like this?
> > By the time you get to variation 12, it will probably work.
>
>   actually, i stripped the recipe down to its bare essentials and,
> amazingly enough, i am now on the net.  the sordid details are, of
> course, documented here:
>
> http://www.linux-games.ca/wiki/index.php/Rday%27s_installing_Broadcom_4318_wifi
>
>   in short, i ignored all of the documentation regarding
> NetworkManager and modprobe.conf and blacklisting and all the rest,
> and just used iwconfig, ifconfig and dhclient to finally get
> connected.  sometimes, the simple ways are the best.
>
> rday

Hmm.. so if I'm reading all this (thread and your wiki) correctly, it
would seem that the problem was a "simple" networking problem, and not
really a problem with your kit and the broadcom driver, correct?

Incidentally, I am completely in your camp regarding the level/quality
of 'howtos' out there and I fully agree sensible documentation should
always provide a running series of "condition testing" checks. I've
banged my head on the same wall you have in that regard, truly.

The wiki page you created is very nice. Will it be permanent? How about
submitting to tldp?

Andy