Re: Need advice on a internet/gateway/firewall set-up

Thomas Fischer wrote:
Hey all,

I need some advise on the best type of set-up under Fedora including configuration examples to build a «dual-homing» gateway/firewall.

The idea is to have the following set-up

   internet_ip_1                  internet_ip_2
         ------fedora_gateway-----

                  internal_network

So that is the network configuration, which will be put into place using 3 physical ethernet cards. I am thinking of bonding the 2 internet facing ethernet cards but not sure how that would work with the 2 internet ip addresses.

Any suggestions? How would I load balance the access across both networks?

Thanks for the help

Hi Thomas

I looked at the same issue recently (and had a Fedora system some years ago that did this).

My conclusion was that it was much cheaper and easier (for me) to just buy something like a Draytek Vigor 2910 router. It has dual WAN inputs, does load balancing, failover etc. For $380 (Australian) it was the right solution for me.

If you have the time and energy to invest, then your approach can certainly work. I never had load balancing and failover working thought. Just dedicated certain traffic to each connection.

Regards,
Langdon