Re: Has anyone ever made scanning work?

Frank Cox wrote:
On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 15:43:29 -0400
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Define "just works,"

Just what it says.  Plug it in and it starts working.

what is your firmware line in snapscan.conf?

There is none.  No firmware upload is required for this scanner.

The relevant line in snapscan.conf is this:

# Change to the fully qualified filename of your firmware file, if
# firmware upload is needed by the scanner
firmware /usr/share/sane/snapscan/your-firmwarefile.bin

Notice that it hasn't changed from the default as-installed snapscan.conf.

This would just work if I could get xsane to stop trying to improve it and use it as is. Do you have/use a firmware update, and if not how did you ask it not to try to do one?

The issue never came up.  I plugged in the scanner, loaded xsane, and started
scanning stuff.  That's really all there was to it.

Bizarre, it tells me it can't find a file named /usr/share/sane/snapscan/your-firmwarefile.bin and to edit the file. With both FC6 and FC7. I assume you have no such file. I'm sure there's some undocumented diddle which tells xsane and scanimage not to try to load any firmware, but there's a limit to how much time it's worth to find it.

Thanks for the info, if no one has a better idea of why this fails I will NOT be buying a 4th scanner, I'm just going to write it off as not ready for prime time and use another O/S.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>