Re: Internet slow down related to the firewall

Les wrote:
On Mon, 2007-08-13 at 00:56 +1000, David Timms wrote:
Well, I'll be darned.  That did it that time.  I'm now getting

1311Kb download and 403Kb upload.  Not great but beats the heck out of
30k.

  I'll have to research this some more, now.  I still can't believe how
that could set the speed down to 3Kbs down and next to nothing up.

The peer2peer is for VR stuff (Croquet and SecondLife), and is needed to
affect anything like reasonable operation.
Unfortunately, I don't know why the iptables firewall causes the slow downs - perhaps if you tried just one or other of ipv6 or MTU, that will narrow it down. Actually, it might be ipv6 - when you stop iptables, were you doing service iptables stop, or using the iptables command manually ? What I mean to ask is do you also stop ip6tables ?

I wouldn't have expected such a large change. However, there is a lot of limited memory adsl/routers out there. If they fill their limited {eg 500 connection} session table {stateful packet inspection}, then further connections will be a problem. My old D-link was like this if a I ran p2p for more than an hour or two. Rebooting the modem/router helped, but causing my ISP to allocate a new IP address also worked.

DaveT.