Re: Producing pdf files with copyable text

On 8/12/07, Antonio Olivares <olivares14031@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > To see the problem that I am now mentioning, please try to produce a
> > pdf of the GMail frontpage:
> >
> > www.gmail.com
> >
> > which is rendered on Firefox with Liberation Fonts, in case you have
> > them installed.
>
> You are absolutely correct, I am trying very hard to make it copyable but all I get is GIGO.
> Garbage In Garbage Out
>
> Using ps2pdf, all the copyable text I get is :
>

> Welcome to Gmail https://www.google.com/accounts/ServiceLogin?service=mail&passive...
> 1 of 1                                                          08/12/2007 03:57 PM
>

> Using Konqueror, I get the message that you got

[snip]

> A print error occurred. Error message received from system:
>
> I used ps2pdf option with the following option and it did not work
>
> [olivares@localhost Documents]$ ps2pdf -dEmbedAllFonts=true gmail.ps

The liberation fonts are in effect embedded in the pdf file, but no
text is copyable:

$ pdffonts gmail.pdf
name                                 type         emb sub uni object ID
WINDHK+Liberation_Sans.Bold.0.0.10b6c.9a62.Set0 Type 1C      yes yes
no      13  0
TAMSTW+Liberation_Sans.Regular.0.0.1b044.b87a.Set0 Type 1C      yes
yes no      11  0
GIYRNY+Liberation_Serif.Regular.0.0.261ac.b87a.Set0 Type 1C      yes
yes no       8  0
$

Paul