Re: About to go back to windows host -- need advice

At 11:09 AM 8/10/2007, David Frascone wrote:

So, I'm considering using XP as the *Host* os, and running Linux in a VMware session.

Good morning, David.

I use VMware on a WinXP host and Linux guest quite often, and it has always worked well for me at least since VMware 5.0. I use it both on my desktop (1.8-MHz P4 with 1 GB RAM) and on my laptop (2.0 GHz Pentium M with 1 GB RAM).

o I *assume* that Linux will be WAY more friendly in a vmware session than windows -- is this a correct assumption?

That seems like a fair assumption. I haven't tried WinXP as a VMware guest but I run Win2K as a VMware guest on WinXP, and I have tried it on a Linux host (though not recently), and it does seem not nearly as stable as Linux guest on a Windows host (haven't ever tried Linux guest on Linux host).

   o   Is VMWare the best thing to use here?

I tend to find things that are "plenty good enough" for my needs without worrying too much about whether it is "best", and VMware has always been "plenty good enough" for everything I have ever wanted to do.

Note, however, that I don't usually do exotic things like high speed 3D video games or sound-intensive stuff... most of what I do involves programming (mostly real time embedded systems) and office applications, fairly routine stuff.

Hope this is helpful...

Eric Poole
RKT Technologies, Inc.
Londonderry, NH, USA
Providing software development consulting and services
                        to government and industry since 1979.
Phone: 603-437-1811
E-mail: eric@xxxxxxxxxxxx
On the Web: http://www.rkt-tech.com
NOTE TO CORRESPONDENTS: Email on the Internet has become a bit less than 100 percent reliable, due to spammers. If you email me and don't get a response in a reasonable time, please re-send. Also, please do what you can to combat spammers, including supporting any anti-spam legislation and NEVER buying anything from a spammer.