Re: smbfs

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 00:56:40 +0200, Rick Stevens <rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Fri, 2007-08-10 at 16:11 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
roland wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 22:20:37 +0200, Mikkel L. Ellertson
> <mikkel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> roland wrote:
>>> In my installation of fed6 I could not find smbmount.
>>> How do I install this.
>>> I read that it is in smbfs, so I downloaded smbfs from rmpfind.net.
>>> After installation, there was nothing to find;
>>> rpm -qa|grep smb
>>> found nothing like smbfs
>>>
>> Use the cifs instead. It has replaced mbfs. You use mount.cifs
>> instead of smbmount.
>>
>> Mikkel
> The problem is that I use Nomachine or freenx.
> When I connect a USBdrive to the workstation, he is trying to mount it
> with smbmount.....
> I don't know how to change that.
>
> --Roland Brouwers
> C.A.T. bvba

I don't know enough about either of them to say for sure, but
because nobody else has jumped in here, I will give you a long shot
- create a smbmount symling to mount.cifs - I think the format of
the command is the same.

Roland, are you saying that you have a USB drive that's mounted on your
system, and you're trying to share it with someone over a network?  It's
not clear just what you're trying to accomplish.

If you're talking about how to mount your USB disk on your system, note
that both SMB and CIFS are network protocols for sharing and/or mounting
Windows shares over the network.  Neither one is used to mount a _disk_.

To mount a USB disk with a Microsoft-style filesystem, the correct
commands are either "mount -t vfat" or "mount -t ntfs", surely _not_
"mount -t smbfs" or "mount -t cifs".

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxx -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-      Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.       -

Hi Steve, happy to here you or should I say read you.

The thing is that I am connecting,with nomachine(freenx) to a Linux server where Nomachine server is installed. This gives me a virtual desktop => www.nomachine.com.

When I place the memory USB-stick into the workstation, NX will try to mount this, using smbmount. The rest depends all on NX.

Offcourse I can define a symlink as MIKKEL said. Question is, is this the right way, and what is the best way.

You have to know that the workstation doesn't have a Linux installation but Microsoft. Up till now I was only able to convince my clients to use Linux in a workstation environment using Ltsp or Nomachine NX.

So what I do now is installing Centos64bit, then VMware then Fedora32bit or Centos32bit and Microsoft2003 as virtual clients. So the client can do what he/she wants.

This looks nice, but problems start with local applications, like the stick or syncronisazing Palms.

Don't say that I am crazy, because maybe I am. :)

Thanks for your attention
--
Roland Brouwers
C.A.T. bvba