Re: smbfs

On Fri, 2007-08-10 at 16:11 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> roland wrote:
> > On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 22:20:37 +0200, Mikkel L. Ellertson
> > <mikkel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Use the cifs instead. It has replaced mbfs. You use mount.cifs
> >> instead of smbmount.
> >>
> >> Mikkel
> > The problem is that I use Nomachine or freenx.
> > When I connect a USBdrive to the workstation, he is trying to mount it
> > with smbmount.....
> > I don't know how to change that.
> >
> > --Roland Brouwers
> > C.A.T. bvba
> >
> I don't know enough about either of them to say for sure, but
> because nobody else has jumped in here, I will give you a long shot
> - create a smbmount symling to mount.cifs - I think the format of
> the command is the same.

Roland, are you saying that you have a USB drive that's mounted on your
system, and you're trying to share it with someone over a network?  It's
not clear just what you're trying to accomplish.

If you're talking about how to mount your USB disk on your system, note
that both SMB and CIFS are network protocols for sharing and/or mounting
Windows shares over the network.  Neither one is used to mount a _disk_.

To mount a USB disk with a Microsoft-style filesystem, the correct
commands are either "mount -t vfat" or "mount -t ntfs", surely _not_
"mount -t smbfs" or "mount -t cifs".

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxx -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-      Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.       -