Re: F6C800-UNV Belkin UPS?

Bob Goodwin wrote:
> Gene Heskett wrote:

<snip>
>> As far as configuration, apcupsd finds /dev/hiddev0 all by itself.  If
>> you have more than /dev/hiddevX, then it might need some guidance.
<snip>
> I will remove the Belkin software.  I don't need the fancy Windows style
> displays.

I bought a Belkin 375 to protect a network switch and old Intel Netport.
   I was looking more for the protection of the equipment.  I moved a
computer to the same location and wound up plugging in the usb based
Belkin device by accident.  It worked in FC5.  In F7, I performed a
fresh install and don't recall configuring the ups at all.

I am thinking that both the Belkin devices use the same internals its
just that you have a larger model than mine.  The dmesg output looks similar

dmesg | grep -i hid
Uncovering SIS18 that hid as a SIS503 (compatible=1)
usbcore: registered new interface driver hiddev
usbcore: registered new interface driver usbhid
drivers/usb/input/hid-core.c: v2.6:USB HID core driver
hiddev96: USB HID v1.11 Device [Belkin  Belkin UPS] on usb-0000:00:02.2-1
Bluetooth: HIDP (Human Interface Emulation) ver 1.1

There are several applications that may be useful to you.  If you right
click on the "Applications" menu bar you can add several power applets.
 You may or may not want to use them but their help pages were quite
informative.

For example, you can use the dmesg command to show that your device
exists but if you use System>Administration>Hardware you can also see
the usb power information that is stored in the kernel by the driver.
The information is presented in tree manager view.  If this application
does not exist in the menu, then you may want to use yum install hal*
and all the related Hardware Abstraction Layer, HAL, tools including the
graphical HAL Device Manager.

You can also use this command string to see if the HAL is monitoring
your ups.  Yes it does seem odd that it is a hid device.
ps -eaf | grep hal
68        2395     1  0 Aug07 ?        00:00:01 hald
root      2396  2395  0 Aug07 ?        00:00:00 hald-runner
68        2420  2396  0 Aug07 ?        00:00:00 hald-addon-keyboard:
listening on /dev/input/event1
68        2421  2396  0 Aug07 ?        00:00:00 hald-addon-keyboard:
listening on /dev/input/event4
68        2422  2396  0 Aug07 ?        00:00:00 hald-addon-keyboard:
listening on /dev/input/event5
root      2451  2396  0 Aug07 ?        00:00:03 hald-addon-hid-ups:
listening on /dev/hiddev0
68        2454  2396  0 Aug07 ?        00:00:00 hald-addon-acpi:
listening on acpi kernel interface /proc/acpi/event
root      2460  2396  0 Aug07 ?        00:00:11 hald-addon-storage:
polling /dev/scd0 (every 2 sec)

The application that I am using by default can be found on the menu as
Applications>System Tools>Power Statistics.  This is the
gnome-power-manager http://www.gnome.org/projects/gnome-power-manager/ .
You may have to use your favorite yum tool to install it.

There is a power graphing tool that comes with this application.  The
gnome-power-manager developers split out this tool so that other
hal/udev/dbus applications can use and send data to it.  There are
python and other examples in the help file.

The doc said that you can run the application this way
gnome-power-manager --verbose --no-daemon

Another applet with a bunch of information is the Battery Charge Monitor
applet.

The final application I saw was located in Applications>System
Tools>KPowersave menu location.

Well I thought the Belkin UPS question was interesting because of my
ownership of the 375 model.  I think I saw the nut software before but
it was in the days before the hal/udev/dbus stuff had really matured.
Back in those days you had to add all sorts of configuration information
to get the devices to work.  Now they just work to the point that I
didn't think why until you started this chain.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Greg

P.S. I saw how to configuration an Intel Netport on an old Red Hat 8
mailing list.  Fill in these values while replacing the hostname of
tigger with the hostname that you configured into the Netport.  The rest
is just printer configuration via cups.

Device: AppSocket/HP JetDirect

Device URL: socket://tigger:3001