Re: Producing pdf files with copyable text

On Sat, Aug 11, 2007 at 07:16:20PM +0100, Paul Smith wrote:
> On 8/11/07, Chris Mohler <cr33dog@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > I have filed an enhancement request:
> >
> > It might be obsolete :)
> >
> > Try this:
> > yum install cups-pdf
> > service cups restart
> >
> > Then you should be able to print any web page to PDF, by selecting the
> > 'CUPS PDF' printer.
>
> Not obsolete, Chris!
>
> In fact, cups-pdf does not produce pdf files with *copyable* text.
>
> Paul

What I tend to do (at work, where I am pretty much forced to use MS Word)
is print to a PS file (install a HP PS printer driver, configure it for
print to file) then hand that file to ps2pdf. Works pretty well.

I could import the Word doc into OOo, but my experience has been that
while it imports well, the line spacing is different such that the page
breaks all change (in OOo, whether you print to PDF or not) changing the
look of the document that you may have carefully tweaked in Word to get
tables and pictures where you want them. (No I'm not complaining about OOo,
I'd just as soon use it if I could, I'm merely making an observation.)

Fred
    community.
 --Roger Ebert, December, 1996