Re: what to restart after mgetty.config changes?

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
Don Russell wrote:
I'm playing around with mgetty and making changes to the
/etc/mgetty+sendfax/mgetty.config file

I find the only way to have the changes take effect is to "shutdown -r"
the whole system.

I thought an "init q" might do it.... but nope.... I can find plenty of
information about mgetty.config via Google etc, but nothing on how to
make the changes effective. :-(

Is there a service I can restart so I don't have to reboot the whole
system (which takes way too long: (due to clamAV stuff) -) )

Thanks

Probably the easiest way would be to run "killall mgetty". The
problem is that you have not changed /etc/inittab, so init does not
restart mgetty, and mgetty does not know that its config file has
been changed. (You will have to double check the exact program name
mgetty is running under...)

Mikkel

Thanks.... that sure beats rebooting the whole machine. :-)
Then how will it get restarted again? I'm assuming that's what inittab takes care of.... from the next call on the ttyS1 device
(That's sort of rhetorical... I'll just try it and see :-) )