[solved] Re: Remote X display from a minimal install - testing gui rpm package

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
David Timms wrote:
Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
David Timms wrote:
If xclock runs, then it has all the libraries it needs.
No, it doesn't run on the cut down machine it doesn't have Xserver
installed, and is running text mode.

It runs - you would not get the can not connect error message if it
didn't. You would get a missing library message.
That's probably correct, unless the application goes one step at a time - eg see if can connect to the display -OK, now load other libraries it needs.

I am yet to get the remote X working with xhost and export DISPLAY, however, as suggested I installed openssh-server, made sure I can connect, and that the sshd forwarding options are enabled. I was still not able to get a remote display to occur.

I made some guesses on packages I might need installed {xorg-x11-utils, xorg-x11-apps, xorg-x11-xauth} then realized I needed to exit and ssh to the machine again to actually pick up the changes to installed packages, and indeed xclock began displaying remotely.

By removing as many of the packages that I added, I found the key seems to be having xorg-x11-xauth installed {and to relogin to the ssh server}.

Thanks, guys, for you helpful pointers.

DaveT.